Celebrities are known to use their notoriety for a good cause. This year, Pamela Anderson and a few others will run 26.2 miles for theirs.
With the ING NYC Marathon one month away, runners are gearing up for the big event. Celebrities are no exception. On the NYRR website, President and CEO Mary Wittenberg stated,
“We always look forward to having our celebrity runners be a part of the ING New York City Marathon,” said Wittenberg.
“Like thousands of our runners, they are adding meaning to their miles by raising awareness and funds for special causes close to their hearts. Star power helps spread the story of the power of the Marathon, and the benefits of running. Each of these notable participants are admirable advocates of healthy living, and exhibit a refreshing sense of determination to take on the ultimate challenge of 26.2 miles.”
Former Baywatch star Pamela Anderson announced her participation in this year’s marathon Wednesday on Twitter.
She’s running for the J/P Haitian Relief Organization which was co-founded by fellow actor Sean Penn.
Her goal is to reach $500,000 that will be used towards programs helping the country affected by the 2010 earthquake. So far Anderson has raised $8,619 on her own. Her team of runners have contributed $98,237 so far.
Donate At: CrowdRise.com
Olympic gold medalist, runner and sports analyst Summer Sanders will be gearing up. She’s excited to return to the marathon speaking on this year’s event she stated,
“I am thrilled to be back at the ING New York City Marathon, as the energy throughout the 26.2 miles is like nothing else. I lived in New York City for eight years and still love this city—this is such a great reason to come back and to soak it up.”
Master Chef Judge Joe Bastianich will burn off some calories running some meaningful miles as well.
Actor Patrick Wilson is looking to “Conjure” up some mega miles. The Hollywood star who appeared in creepy flicks such as Insidious and The Conjuring is running for the Michael J. Fox Foundation.
Ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes may not be a celebrity, but he’s a legend among marathon runners. This man has run 50 marathons in 50 states on 50 consecutive days, finishing the ING New York City Marathon in 3:00:30.
To runners he’s the true definition of “Bad Ass!” He’s running for actionforhealthykids.org
Other Public Figures Include:
- Stephanie Abrams, on-camera meteorologist, The Weather Channel
- Michelle Beadle, host of NBCSN’s Crossover and correspondent on NBC’s Access Hollywood(ASPCA)
- Richard Blais, chef, restaurateur, author, and television personality (Alliance for a Healthier Generation)
- Brett Claywell, Actor, One Tree Hill, One Life to Live (Grassroot Soccer)
- Nick Kypreos, former New York Rangers player and 1994 Stanley Cup Champion, hockey analyst on Canada’s Sportsnet
- Carol Mead, First lady of Wyoming (Remember the 8)
- Fredrik Normark, Ninja, The Hives (Team for Kids)
- Sarah Reinertsen, American challenged athlete, first female leg-amputee to complete Ironman® World Championship, CBS Amazing Race star (Challenged Athletes Foundation
- Bill Rancic, entrepreneur, author, TV personality, and first-ever winner of NBC’s The Apprentice(Fab-U-Wish, running on behalf of TIMEX)
- Greg T, radio personality, Elvis Duran and the Z100 Morning Show
- Christy Turlington Burns, Global Maternal Health Advocate/Founder of Every Mother Counts (Every Mother Counts)
Follow Us On Twitter @RunnersEXP & @JayDensonNYC
- RUNNING WITH THE STARS: Christy Turlington, Pamela Anderson and Bill Rancic among celebs who’ll pound the pavement for charity in upcoming NYC Marathon (nydailynews.com)
- TCS partners New York Road Runners for NYC Marathon (rediff.com)